Online bulletin boards are an online discussion that involves approximately 20-24 respondents. Bulletin boards are held over a specified period of time (usually 3-4 days). They are excellent for eliciting more in-depth comments on complex issues, as well as for allowing participation by individuals who would be difficult to gather collectively in “real time.”
- Respondents can participate at their own convenience each day.
- More time to mull over questions / implications
- Each respondent has the time to articulate their responses and provide detailed answers
- Opportunity to combine one-to-one and group approaches (e.g., can set it up so an individual cannot see others’ responses until they put in their own)
- Clients can send private prompts to the moderator (from their observation room) to probe further on specific responses as they see fit.
- Clients can observe groups from office or home – wherever Internet access available.
- Provides access to hard to reach groups (e.g., low incidence, geographically diverse).
- Multimedia capabilities – audio, visual, streaming video
- Facilitates communication among respondents – less intimidated,
open and honest.
- Save travel costs for moderator and observers.